Maintaining Status in a Concurrent Program

The following information is advice on how to maintain your undergraduate program status to enter the Professional Year.  Please refer to the University Calendar for official rules, conditions, regulations and updates regarding program status.  (Item three (3) and four (4) under the heading: "Academic Regulations" on the linked page).

Entry into the Professional Year is only possible for students who have successfully met all other requirements.  There is no overload in the Professional Year and the student's average must meet the minimum requirements.

A degree audit is done at the end of each year.  If the year end degree audit indicates that your average is below the required percentage to maintain your status in a concurrent education degree you have two options. The following advice may help you decide how to proceed.

Insufficient Average Options

Option A: Transfer Out Now

A low average means that you will be on probation for the next year.  You might decide that it is to your advantage to transfer out of education now and carry on with your major in art or science.  If this is the case, you would be eligible to apply  for the Professional Year Bachelor of Education (BEd) program during the final year of your major.


  1. Entry into the one year BEd is very competitive.


  1. You will be able to focus on your major without trying to fit in the additional education courses.
  2. The Professional Year is exactly the same whether it is taken as the One Year BEd Professional Year or as the final year of a Concurrent Program.
  3. When you apply for the Professional Year, your previous registration in a Concurrent Program will neither hinder nor help you.  Your application will be treated just the same as any other.

Option B: Use Your Probation Year

If you use your probation year to stay in the Concurrent Program, you will need to meet or exceed the required percentage to maintain your status by the end of next academic year.  Should your average fall below this requirement at the end of any subsequent academic year after probation, you will be withdrawn from the education part of your program.  Upon withdrawal, "Option A: Transfer Out Now" listed above would apply.


  1. This option will require you to complete special exams in or to fully repeat one or several courses.  This measure is made to help you meet the required percentage by the end of the coming year.
  2. You will need to monitor your progress closely and drop any courses that endanger achieving the required percentage.
  3. It is possible that you will not be able to raise your average to the required percentage during your probation year.  If this occurs, the education courses in your second year will not be applicable to the degree in your major.


  1. You will be able to remain in the education program and secure your entrance into the professional year, provided that
    • you obtain the required percentage by the end of your probation year AND;
    • you maintain that average in all subsequent academic years of your education program

Hints to Help Repair a Concurrent Education Average and Get Into Professional Year

Hints to Help Repair Your Average

  1. Monitor your average.
    • Drop courses in which you do not expect to get at least a sixty-five percent (65%) before the "drop date" to avoid low marks on your transcript.
  2. Retake a course or complete special exams in courses that are hurting your average.
    • Once a low mark is on your transcript it will continue to affect your average until you retake the course or complete a special exam. However, consider this option carefully.  The replacement or "new" mark you earn via this option will always cancel the original mark.  This remains true even if the replacement mark is lower than the original.
  3. Pick the courses to retake carefully.
    • Retaking a subject does not guarantee that you will achieve a higher mark or gain credit for the course.  Know the risks involved in retaking a course.  Calculate what percentage you will need to improve on your original mark.  For example, let it be assumed that you need an overall average of sixty-five percent (65%) to maintain your program status. If you originally earned a course mark of fifty-five percent (55%) and you retake the course, a sixty-five percent (65%) will place your overall course average at sixty-five percent (65%).  If you do not retake the course, you will need to earn a mark of at least seventy-five percent (75%) in some other course to maintain your program status.
  4. Take fewer courses per year.
    • An effective way to maintain or exceed a required program average is to take fewer courses per year.  Not everyone, especially those also holding jobs and/or raising families, can complete a degree in the standard three (3) or four (4) years.  To stay in the program or to maintain a high enough average to get into the Professional Year, it may be necessary to take summer courses or additional time.

Hints to Help Get Into One Year BEd Professional Year

  1. Plan your courses.
    • Review the entrance requirements for the program you want to enter and plan your courses accordingly.  For example, Primary/Junior (P/J) and Junior/Intermediate (J/I) students will need to study "a variety of topics taught in an elementary school."  Therefore, these students should choose electives from courses that correspond to the elementary grades.  Similiarly, Intermediate/Senior (I/S) students need to ensure the requirements for their first (1st) and second (2nd) teachables are met.
  2. Volunteer or take summer jobs that give you experience working with children.

Best of luck.  One rough year does not have to mean the end of your academic career.  A Bachelor of Education degree is valuable regardless of the route by which it is obtained.  The decision is yours.